With the advent of Pinterest, the idea of a simple wedding has fallen on the wayside. Events oozing with immaculate decor is now the standard and you’d be hard pressed to find a fete without some sort of mason jar DIY detail. But there is something to be said for the understated wedding. Take for example today’s real nuptials between cuties Kyle and Melody. This stunningly simplistic outdoor wedding in California would make even the most crafty couple yearn for the simple things in life. We’ll let photographer Jessica Hensley introduce you to the couple, but make sure to grab our Red Wine Chocolate Frosting recipe inspired by the day:
My heart is bursting with so much stinkin’ excitement- I am finally sharing the beautiful day of Kyle and Melody’s whimsical backyard winter wedding. This wedding holds a very special place in my heart. I have known Kyle, his band of brothers, and his Superwoman of a mother for 15 years. I grew up dealing with the brothers’ spunky sarcastic comments while holding my own on the soccer field. So, it took every little piece inside me to not jump up and scream with joy on the phone when Kyle called to see if I’d shoot his and Mel’s wedding. And people… this day was a dream. The ceremony brought tears to my eyes, and their raw, real, joy filled love was captivating. It was a day to remember and I am truly honored to have been able to capture it.
RED WINE CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- 1 cup of red wine
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1 cup of dark chocolate
- 2 sticks of butter
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- In a medium saucepan, cook 1 stick of butter and the dark chocolate until fully melted and mixed together (stir continuously).
- Add the red wine and cocoa powder to the pan. Simmer until it has formed into a thicker (less liquid) consistency. Let cool.
- In a stand mixer, combine the confectioner’s sugar and 1 stick of butter (softened). Mix until a fluffy cream is formed. Add the chocolate wine reduction and mix until a buttercream frosting consistency forms. Use and enjoy!
Photographer: Jessica Miriam Photography