If you have ever had a birthday, which it is probably safe to assume, then you are likely acquainted with Funfetti. You know, that boldly speckled vanilla cake that is a staple for celebrating the day of your birth. What you probably do not know is that Funfetti dates back to the Medieval era. Legend has it that a rural baker in Wales accidentally poured a batch of sugared berries into the bread dough he was mixing. Not wanting to waste the precious food, he baked up the batter and served the Frankenstein bread at supper, which also happened to be his wife’s birthday. Thus, Funfetti was inadvertently invented. You are probably asking yourself right now, ‘is that really the origin of Funfetti?’ To which I say, no… I just made it up. Fact check, people! I have no clue how the cakey staple was invented. Regardless, it is a celebratory tradition. So, let’s pay tribute to the fun-times’ having dessert with a twist. Bake up a batch of my Spiked Funfetti Cupcakes and take a gander at the happily retro real wedding between cuties Jeff and Joy that inspired today’s post.
- 1/2 cup of rum
- 1/4 cup of confetti sprinkles
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
- To make the cupcakes, mix together together the butter (melted) and sugar until light and fluffy in a stand mixer. Add in the eggs, vanilla extract, and rum. Mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add this to the stand mixer ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Gently fold in the confetti sprinkles into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake tray and bake for approximately 25 minutes (or until fully cooked through). Remove and let cool.
- Decorate as desired and enjoy!
Photographer: Oldani Photography//Transportation: BEST Transportation//Floral Designer:Flowerama//Caterer: Patty Long Catering//Cake Designer: The Cakery Bakery//Event Venue:The Culver Pavillion at the Muny//Invitation Designer:Wedding Paper Divas// Submitted via Two Bright Lights