Some of my fondest childhood memories begin with a simple tune – ice cream truck music. You’re hearing it in your head right now, aren’t you? If I caught even a solitary note on the heels of a soft breeze, I ran like hell to the front yard. I then would proceed to flag down the ice cream man, like a shipwrecked survivor seeing their first airplane in years. If you were lucky enough to catch him, then came the difficult decision. Oh, the choices – orange creamsicle, no, chocolate covered drumstick, no, the handlebar bomb pop. But in the end, what kid could resist the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle pop?! You know, the one with the gumdrop eyeballs?! (Clearly, I’m a child of the 1980s). In these memories, a quarter always magically appeared in my overalls front pocket. How? Ice cream fairies, I assume… probably close relatives of that toothy one since they had quarters so readily available. Through gulps of air, I’d hastily order my pop, pay the nice man, make him pinky promise to come back again this time tomorrow, and run back into the house with my loot. Then I would slurp to heart’s content, run in manic circles during the five minute sugar high, and crash in a heap of sticky wonderment for a late afternoon nap. A perfect day in munchkin kingdom.
Will there ever be a joy as pure and intense as a little girl and her popsicle? I will leave you to ponder this metaphysical thought on your own and instead re-direct your attention today’s event. Clearly solidifying the importance of this childhood staple in the memory of her own daughter, Lila Ruby’s mom planned a spectacular shindig. Celebrating the little one’s third birthday with an ice cream parlor theme, the room was decked with tons of DIY details – painted canvas menu, ice-cream cone banner, and a toppings bar to match. Feast your eyes and fan the embers of nostalgia with this fun fete and take a stab at our inspired Mascarpone Banana Ice Cream recipe while you’re at it!
MASCARPONE BANANA ICE CREAM
- 3 ounces of mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup of ripe bananas (mashed)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups of heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups of whole milk
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- Combine the mascarpone cheese and heavy cream in a bowl. Whisk together until fully combined. Set aside.
- Combine the egg yolks, sugar, and milk in a saucepan and cook over low heat. It is very important that you stir continuously so that the eggs do not get scrambled. Continue to stir until the ingredients are thoroughly combined and the mixture has thickened. Immediately remove from heat. Pour into the bowl with the cheese mixture and whisk together until completely combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 1 gallon zip lock bag and submerge in an ice bath until cold. Once chilled, pour the mixture into a ice cream maker and begin churning. Once the mixture is the normal, thick consistency of ice cream, add the mashed bananas. Allow the bananas to be churned into the ice cream just enough to have streaks throughout and then remove from maker. Enjoy!
Photographer: Kate McStay Photography// Submitted via Two Bright Lights